I’m almost embarrassed to post this. But it looks like I am back in print again.
After all the fuss that was made when I rather abruptly disappeared, and all the amazing supportive emails and messages I got from people who I never even knew lurked about the site….well, it sorta seems like an anti-climax to drop another post. And quite honestly I nearly did not1.
I do not wish to go into all the specific reasons as to why I shut things down so abruptly. But I do feel I should offer some explanation.
As I have said before for the record, my employer did not force me to do so2.
An incident occurred where I unintentionally, but very foolishly breached patient confidentiality and hospital policy.
I published a de-identified image of an ‘interesting’ skull xray on my Facebook page, (in fact there was absolutely no information attached to this image, and even I had no idea who it belonged to, or what the clinical story behind it was). Incredibly, (or so I thought) this xray was in fact correctly identified by a reader, who made an official complaint. The resulting disiplinary action brought my whole website/facebook presence to an uncomfortable, and personally distressing head3.
So. There it is. I am tentatively back for now. Proceeding with caution.
However, I will not be reactivating my impactednurse Facebook page for now4.
I would especially like to thank Kane Guthrie, Mike Cadogan and the Life in the FastLane crew5, as well as my dad, and Kelly for their supportive encouragement that has, along with the aforementioned fuss from all of you regular readers, been largely responsible for this humble redux.
This is the second time I have said I was absolutely, definitely, unequivocally, out of the medical blogosphere. And then come back.
Without further ado, let us proceed……
- I started another blog, and began moving my writing in another direction altogether [↩]
- But I also have no doubt that there were quite a few people in the health setting that were exceedingly glad to see the back of it [↩]
- Importantly, and without a doubt, this incident also caused quite some distress for the person to whom the xray belonged; for which I am deeply sorry. [↩]
- My personal Facebook page continues. [↩]
- undoubtedly the finest medical blog on offer right now IMHO [↩]